Game Rules & Umpiring Guidelines
Game Rules for Players
Guidelines for Umpiring
When your team is scheduled to supply umpires, two are required. Both umpires will be provided a balls-strikes-outs counter, and both should keep track in case of any questions.
If either umpire is unsure on any call, he/she may ask the opinion of the other umpire, but teams cannot “appeal” one umpire’s call to the other umpire.
Responsibilities of Plate Umpire
- Balls and strikes. Strike zone is from the armpits to the knees, of a normal stance, where the ball crosses the front of the plate).
- Monitoring the time of the game. No new inning can start after 65 minutes of play. When the game starts, it is important to tell both captains what time is by your watch. If you don’t have a watch, the section co-ordinators will lend you one.
- All plays at third base and home plate.
- Be prepared to help the Base Umpire(s) make a call, if necessary.
Responsibilities of Base Umpire
- All plays at first and second bases.
- Watch for runners leading, tagging up on fly balls, touching each base.
- Be prepared to help the Plate Umpire make a call, if necessary.